Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Stir Fry Lettuce Wraps

I started this blog because I get a number of calls from friends and family (which I LOVE when people do this) for recipes I have made them or have shared, or if they have a cooking question.  I love love love it when people call me for a cooking question, so I decided I wanted a public recipe box to refer people to..... for all those food fans out there.....

For those of you just wanting the recipe just skip down below, but for those of you who enjoy a quick read I will try to pleasure your mind for a paragraph or two.  This meal was created a while ago for a fun cooking video I made for my family.  It has been improved since then, and I must say it is delicious!
Asian cooking is always fun, because you usually use fresh ingredients and for some reason it always tastes better when you cook it at home!  These stirfry lettuce wraps don't have to be wrapped at all.  It can just simply be stir fry and call it a night!  But for me and my precious Husband, we love the crisp, fresh crunch of the lettuce as we are pleasurly eating the stir fry.

A few random facts about me.
I like to call my house "the little house on the block".
I love when my husband get's home from work.
I eat an apple everyday. (gala)
I love Smith.
I love life.
and I love love love love love to cook.
People call me the food snob and I think it's funny.

For the recipe now


1egg, beaten
2 chicken breasted, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 t. fresh ginger, minced
2 cups of fresh baby spinach, chopped
1 orange bell pepper, diced
4 green onions, thinly sliced
1/3 cup braggs liquid aminos, or soy sauce
1 T. agave nectar, or honey
1/4 tsp. chili garlic sauce. (you can add more if you like spicy.)
4 cups of cooked rice.
 lettuce, whatever you have, I like butter lettuce, but you can use romain, or iceburg.




These are delicious ingredients I use.





 I like to rinse my rice and drain it  before adding the water it boils in....a little trick south americans use, it makes for a fluffy texture vs. a sticky texture.

I also put a paper towel inbetween the pot and the lid,  when it starts to boil I fold over the edges.

Add olive oil to your pan and Beat the egg,  fry it just till its done.  Transfer the cooked egg to a bowl




if your garlic has a green stem growin in the middle, remove it before mincing, the stem adds a bitter flavor, not very pleasurable for the palate.



Brown chicken



When Chicken is brown add all your vegetables.



yummmm.....singular sensation!



Add your soy sauce or I like to use Bragg's Liquid Aminos, trust me, once you use this you will never go back to regular soy sauce again, not only is it nutritious but it has a flavor that is unparalled to all other soy sauces on the market.




Add red pepper garlic sauce



Then your agave, you can use honey too.



Stir in your cooked rice



Once rice is stirred in, add your egg



break up your egg right in the middle of your stirfry and stir it into the mixture.



And walllaaaa  Yummmy yummy to my tummy, stirfy lettuce wraps.....yoooooooohoooooooo!!!!!



My husband likes to price all my meals and say, "I'de pay $$$ for this meal!"

He priced this at 13.99.  Hey thats a pricey meal for two!  
HE loved it






15 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds delicious! I haven't ever tried the Liquid aminos! I should definitely do that! :) I am excited to talk food with you more! :) I have a food blog too that is mostly desserts. :) Gluten/Dairy/Soy/Refined sugar free of course!
    http://sugarface-bakes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are AMAZING!!! i want to make this (minus the egg...............). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh good! Adjust any ingredient! A good recipe can be adjusted in many ways! I love you girls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The thing that most diets forget is that food tastes good---this is a great tasting diet food. 13.99 seems about fight for this dish. My husband and I price our meals too---it makes is seem like we are eating out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so yummy! Can't wait to try it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAHOOOOOO!!!!!!! I'm so excited for your blog! I can't believe you took all those pictures along the way so professional!

    Beth, I feel privileged that I was served this delicious meal at "the little house on the block!" Since I had 6 servings does that mean my meal cost $84?!!!! I love you Beth!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that he prices your meals! This looks so yummy and healthy. The ingredients are all so fresh. I want to try this. Where do you get your Braggs liquid aminos? I've never heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you can get Braggs Liquid Aminos at any health food store! Thanks Dana, i love your blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the blog beth...hey, are we cooking?

    ReplyDelete
  10. We had this for dinner tonight. I'm really slow in the kitchen so it took me awhile, but definitely worth it. Once all the veggies and sauces were cooking my kitchen was smelling so yummy, like the Wholesome Chioce international food court. The Braggs was delish...I never want to go back to soy sauce. And the minced ginger and garlic smelled really good together. Zach slept through dinner, but Kate and my husband both loved it. I wonder what they would price it? Kate just said $0. Haha! She still has a lot to learn about money.

    Thank you so much for blogging your awesome recipes Beth!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so GLAD YOU TRIED THEM DANA! That is awesome! This made my day! If you make them again, you will be super fast at it. It is one of our staples. If you made any adjustments or changes please tell me! I love feed back!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I added more spinach, and I think I used more than 4 cups of rice, which made it kind of dry...so I just added more Braggs until it seemed right. I'm making it again tonight actually, since I still have leftover ingredients and it was so delish. BTW, this is my new favorite website!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is great! I miss you Dana! Your family is sooo so so so cute! I think I will dedicated a meal to your family and call it A meal from Hogwarts!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beth Jane - My mom just sent me an email and told me about your sight. She said you just did a presentation at their RS meeting. Just want to tell you I love your site already! I am always looking for healthy recipes for me and my family. I look forward to lots more.

    Is Braggs nationwide? I'll have to check out our local health store here.

    ReplyDelete